Why is flat roof a good option?
Flat roofing is a typical roof type for most Singapore buildings. There are several reasons for their enduring popularity. Some of these include the following:
- Building a flat roofing system is relatively easy.
- It is a cost effective roofing solution.
- It is easy to find skilled roofers and home builders who have rich experience of installing flat roofs in Singapore.
- Flat roofs allow vertical expansion of your building. As space comes at a premium in Singapore, it makes sense to build a second or third floor when extra room is needed in the interiors of a building.
- You may easily convert your flat roof into a terrace garden or outdoor entertainment area.
- If you lack space on your backyard, consider installing a swimming pool on the flat terrace. You may build a spa and Jacuzzi around it. Doing so on a gable roof is impossible.
It is better for you to be aware of some of the negative points of a flat roofing system as well. You must keep your flat roofing system clean. Get rid of stagnant rainwater as soon as possible. Stored moisture and dampness may weaken the entire structure with time. Fortunately, Singapore experiences mild temperature and average rainfall for greater part of the year. So the question of having stagnant water on the roofing system after a heavy rainfall does not arise too frequently.
What are the different types of flat roofing materials?
The commonest types of flat roof materials include,
Concrete – Concrete is one of the most popular roofing materials in Singapore. In this type of roofing system, concrete is cast in a steel frame. Sometimes concrete roof tiles are used for this purpose. Concrete tiles come in a range of fascinating colours and styles. The combination of concrete and steel framework results in a very durable roofing system.
PVC – Sometimes layers of PVC membranes are laid on the deck to build a durable roofing system. At other times, PVC membranes are attached to the metal trusses. By nature PVC membranes reflect heat and keep the interiors cool in the summer months. Quite naturally it is a suitable option for tropical countries. This aside, roofing system made of PVC proves to be quite sturdy and long lasting.
TPO – Like PVC membranes, TPO or Thermoplastic polyolefin is attached to a metal framework. It is also an extremely durable roofing material that comes with a lifetime warranty. TPO helps you to build an energy efficient residential structure. The material does not absorb heat. Consequently you enjoy a cooler interior atmosphere even in sweltering heat.
EPDM – EPDM is cheaper than both PVC membranes and TPO. However, it does not boast of the durability of PVC or EPDM. Neither does it provide the required level of energy efficiency to your building.
Modified Bitumen – Unlike PVC or EPDM membranes, modified bitumen doesn’t easily get damaged by spikey or sharp objects. It is made of multiple layers of bitumen and finished off with a layer of plywood on top. The topmost layer increases its energy efficiency.
BUR or Built Up Roofing – BUR uses several layers of bitumen interspersed with layers of gravel. It is one of the oldest roofing materials on this list. It is capable of providing great durability to your residence. It can also withstand greater amount of load than some of the other materials like PVC, TPO and EPDM. Consequently, it is preferred for the roofs with high footfall.
What is the average flat roof cost in Singapore?
The cost of any roofing system depends on the roofing materials in use, area to be covered and the installation process. Roofing costs in Singapore vary between SGD 2 to SGD 7 per square foot. While roofing with EPDM costs around SGD 2 per square foot, modified bitumen or concrete roofing may cost between SGD 6 and SGD 7 per square foot. The price of PVC membrane and rubber roofing fall into the middle, i.e. about SGD 5 per square foot.
What is the installation process of a roofing system?
Attempt to do this only if you have previous experience of doing similar kind of work. Otherwise, you may compromise your safety and the quality of the building. You may use EPDM to build your flat roofing system. Compared to some other materials, it is easier to install. The process is as follows:
- Install a plywood deck on the existing surface.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the surface. It will impact the uniformity of the EDPM layer.
- Spread the EDPM sheet on the plywood deck.
- Cut it to the right size and shape.
- Remove the sheet and cover the deck with the adhesive material.
- Spread the sheet on the adhesive material.
- Gently tap the surface with a flat mop or broom. The air bubbles trapped under the surface will escape this way.
- Complete the process with a coat of specialised primer for EDPM sheets.
- Leave it undisturbed for a few days till it settles down nicely.
How to find a trusted roofing company?
To locate a trustworthy roofing company in Singapore, you may seek suggestions from your friends and family members. homify’s online platform will also help you in this regard. You may discuss your requirements with any of the roofers available on homify. Before entrusting anyone with your project, have a detailed discussion with each of them.
Check the feedbacks and ratings of their previous customers. Compare the quotes and clarify the services available within the price or omitted from the list. Only when you are satisfied with all the answers, go ahead and place your order.