A gable roof is a pitched roof design with slopes on either side of the building. It is one of the most common roofing systems seen anywhere in the world including in Singapore. Gable roofing system of Singapore is inspired by the traditional thatched roof designs of the region. However, for the city homes, use of grass as a roofing material has long been discontinued. If you are building a brand new residence soon, then this is one of the roofing design that you must check out.
Apart from its aesthetic charm, gable roofing is easy to clean. Unlike the flat roofing system, the slopes do not encourage accumulation of water on the rooftop. From wooden shingles to stylish roof tiles, you may use a variety of materials to build a very appealing gable roofing system. It is sturdy and built to last for decades.
Gable roofing system can have a variety of styles. The following are some of the popular gable roof designs for residential buildings:
Box gable roof – This type of gable roofing has two triangular sections on either side of the building. It gives the entire structure a solid boxlike appearance.
Front gable roof – Front gable roofing is inspired by the colonial era structures of Singapore. This type of houses has the main entryway built right underneath the acute angle of one of the gables.
Dutch gable roof – When hipped roof come together with gable roofing system to build a composite structure, it is known as Dutch gable roof. This design is preferred due to its beauty. It allows you to have more room on the top floor level.
Cross gable roof – Cross gable roof combines two or more gable roofing systems at a central point and creates a complex roofing system in the process. This type of roofing is suitable for large buildings with several wings.
Gable roof with shed roofing – You may see many homes built with a composite of gable and shed roofing systems. Without making too much alteration in the basic design, this helps to make the interior of a house more expansive.
To build a gable roofing system in your home, you will need the following materials:
- Roof tiles – You may choose roof tiles made of wood, terracotta, slate, metal or concrete. While terracotta tiles are favoured for aesthetic reasons, metal, slate and concrete prove to be more durable alternatives. Sometimes, PVC tiles are also used for gable roofing.
- Roof trusses made of aluminium or wood. Aluminium is lightweight and reasonably durable, but wood is sturdier, sustainable and more charming.
- Metal sheets as an alternative to the tiles.
- Wood or asphalt shingles for improving the insulation and making the roofing system more durable.
- Waterproof PVC sheets or tar paper.
To build a gable roofing system you may need to spend between SGD 350 and SGD 500 per square metre. The actual cost will depend on the type of materials in use, the design and size of the roofing system.
Many homeowners prefer to go for DIY roof installation. You need to have some experience to attempt this. Otherwise, it is best to work under expert supervision.
- Buy prefabricated roof trusses. You may also build your own trusses by attaching wooden beams to the rafters. Maintain a distance of 12 to 24 inches between the trusses. The gap should be uniform in each case.
- Using braces hold the trusses with the rafters. Fix them with nails.
- Attach drip edges which will channel the rainwater to the drainage system.
- Cover the trusses with tar paper.
- Spread asphalt or wooden shingles on top it.
- Place the tiles above this layer. In case of metal roofing, cover the asphalt layer with corrugated metal sheets.
- Give the entire structure a protective coat of paint. This will protect it from the elements of nature.
You may hire a professional roofing company to install the gable roofing system for you. You will find experienced roofers on homify’s online platform. This way you will neither compromise the durability of the structure nor your own safety.
Both a gable roof and a hipped roof are good for places where heavy rainfall is a norm rather than exception. These roofing systems don’t allow rainwater to settle on the top of the building and, consequently, weaken the entire structure. They are aesthetically pleasing. Gable roof is easy to build than hipped roof. Compared to hipped roof and flat roof made of concrete tiles, gable roof is more affordable.
Both gable and hipped roofing systems boast of a versatile design. However, gable roof is less stable than hipped roof. This may cause problem for houses built in the windy areas of the country. In these cases, hipped roof would be the best option to go for. You may also secure your gable roof with additional braces. The complex design of hipped roof increases its installation costs. While you may try installing gable roof yourself, you will need professional roofers to build a durable hipped roofing system for your home.